Sunday, June 25, 2006

The Roomba versus the Rottweiler

This is a Roomba:



This is a Rottweiler:



This is not my Roomba, nor is it my Rottweiler; they're pictures I got from Google Images. But that is what my Roomba and my Rottweiler look like. He's a damned handsome dog. And it's not a bad looking vacuum cleaner.

You are no doubt wondering what they have in common, apart from their good looks. And the answer to that is "the kitchen."

Rottweilers shed a considerable quantity of hair and also tend to track in dirt. And since the Rott lives in the kitchen, that's where it accumulates.

The Roomba is a robotic vacuum cleaner designed to pick up such things as dirt and dog hair.

Obviously, a match made in heaven.

Or not.

It seemed to me like a good idea to let the Roomba sweep the kitchen floor. The dogs weren't so sure about that. (I say "dogs" plural because there's also my ex-wife's Toy Poodle Pomeranian mix that also lives in the kitchen for the time being.)

So I started the thing going and left it. I checked in now and then, and the dogs were just avoiding it. When it approached, they moved. No problem.

But then they started barking at it. The Rott's as mild-mannered as Clark Kent, so I suspect the yappy little punting dog was the instigator. But whichever it was, it prompted me to divide the room into their part and the Roomba's part. Problem solved, I thought.

But then the barking started again. I ignored it at first, but when it didn't stop, I got annoyed.

So I went into the kitchen to quiet things down, and when I opened the door, it looked like Freddy Krueger had paid a visit. This is what Freddy Krueger looks like:



There was blood spattered everywhere, one no longer vacuuming robotic vacuum cleaner, and one Rottweiler licking his paw. I wish I'd had a working camera so I could post a picture.

In the end, there was no harm done to the Roomba and it started right up again when I pressed the start button, but the victory goes to the Rott. And the big looser was me, who spent way more time cleaning up the blood than I ever would have sweeping the floor. No more Roomba in the kitchen.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Laurie said...

Oh, my God!

Monday, June 26, 2006 12:07:00 AM  
Anonymous Susan in St. Paul said...

First the tadpoles, now you let a Roomba hurt your dog, whatever next???

I wish you'd have a working camera too! You are not keeping up with your picture taking responsiblities ;-)

Glad no long term damage was done, men always need more experience cleaning up blood anyway, LOL!

Monday, June 26, 2006 1:41:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being a dog lover myself I must say I was heart broken. Poor pooch. That really "sucks"..GET IT..HA HA.. SUCKS...
Okay sorta lame. Its hard to to follow the "No dog left behind joke".

Baby sister Bonnie

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 9:46:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home