Sunday, June 25, 2006

The Roomba versus the Rottweiler

This is a Roomba:



This is a Rottweiler:



This is not my Roomba, nor is it my Rottweiler; they're pictures I got from Google Images. But that is what my Roomba and my Rottweiler look like. He's a damned handsome dog. And it's not a bad looking vacuum cleaner.

You are no doubt wondering what they have in common, apart from their good looks. And the answer to that is "the kitchen."

Rottweilers shed a considerable quantity of hair and also tend to track in dirt. And since the Rott lives in the kitchen, that's where it accumulates.

The Roomba is a robotic vacuum cleaner designed to pick up such things as dirt and dog hair.

Obviously, a match made in heaven.

Or not.

It seemed to me like a good idea to let the Roomba sweep the kitchen floor. The dogs weren't so sure about that. (I say "dogs" plural because there's also my ex-wife's Toy Poodle Pomeranian mix that also lives in the kitchen for the time being.)

So I started the thing going and left it. I checked in now and then, and the dogs were just avoiding it. When it approached, they moved. No problem.

But then they started barking at it. The Rott's as mild-mannered as Clark Kent, so I suspect the yappy little punting dog was the instigator. But whichever it was, it prompted me to divide the room into their part and the Roomba's part. Problem solved, I thought.

But then the barking started again. I ignored it at first, but when it didn't stop, I got annoyed.

So I went into the kitchen to quiet things down, and when I opened the door, it looked like Freddy Krueger had paid a visit. This is what Freddy Krueger looks like:



There was blood spattered everywhere, one no longer vacuuming robotic vacuum cleaner, and one Rottweiler licking his paw. I wish I'd had a working camera so I could post a picture.

In the end, there was no harm done to the Roomba and it started right up again when I pressed the start button, but the victory goes to the Rott. And the big looser was me, who spent way more time cleaning up the blood than I ever would have sweeping the floor. No more Roomba in the kitchen.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Laurie said...

Oh, my God!

Monday, June 26, 2006 12:07:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First the tadpoles, now you let a Roomba hurt your dog, whatever next???

I wish you'd have a working camera too! You are not keeping up with your picture taking responsiblities ;-)

Glad no long term damage was done, men always need more experience cleaning up blood anyway, LOL!

Monday, June 26, 2006 1:41:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home