Wednesday, November 07, 2007

R.I.P.

This picture was taken on Monday.



The vet gave him two to six months. He took a few more.

It's been a hard year.

When I let him out on Sunday, he lay down in the back yard and had a look in his eyes that said "I'm never getting up again."

There was a scene in Little Big Man where Old Lodge Skins (Chief Dan George) says "It is a good day to die" and lies down in the to die, but nothing happens. "Sometimes the magic works; sometimes it doesn't."

That time, it didn't.

And eventually he got up and came in the house.

But I knew it was time, and on Monday I called the vet and made an appointment for Tuesday afternoon. I took the day off work on Tuesday.

Tuesday was a very long day. He hadn't been eating much for the past couple weeks, and he hadn't eaten anything since Friday. But that didn't stop him from throwing up whatever was left in his stomach, nor did the fact that nothing was left in his stomach stop him. And it was strangely vocalized; it was a human sort of sound that I've never heard from a dog before.

On Sunday, I tried to pick him up and bring him into the house. He growled at me like he'd never growled at me before, and I put him down and let him be until he was ready to come in on his own. On Tuesday, when it was time, he didn't seem to care anymore. He didn't react at all when the vet stuck the needle in.

It was the hardest thing I ever did.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Susan in St. Paul said...

I was thinking about you and Baby since the weekend, especially on Tuesday.

Its very sad. He was a good dog and you were a good owner to him.

I know it was incredibly hard but you did the right thing, and I am sure he knew it.

Thursday, November 08, 2007 12:17:00 AM  
Blogger TBM said...

He was a good boy and a good friend.

RIP.

Thursday, November 08, 2007 2:51:00 AM  
Blogger Laurie said...

God bless you and God bless Baby. I'm so, so sorry.

Thursday, November 08, 2007 7:03:00 AM  
Blogger Adela said...

Sorry about Baby, and sorry I've been out of touch. I had to put my old and sick kitty down last month, so I share your loss. It was unbelievably hard to do. I miss her every day, and I'm sure you miss Baby every day. Have to stop here or I'll start blabbing platitudes, or maybe just blubbering.

Monday, January 07, 2008 10:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home