Monday, August 23, 2010

It's such a fine line between stupid and clever

"It's such a fine line between stupid and clever."
--David St. Hubbins

I'm still trying to decide which side of the line this one's on:



In my mind this raises two questions:


1) Is it meant to be taken seriously?


It seems to me that this is really stupid or really clever. It has the feeling of a South park parody, but it could just be a caricature of itself--an unholy union of "Christian rock" of the Praise and Worship variety and patriotic country that pushes each idiom far beyond its limits. I prefer to think of it as brilliant satire, but I'm afraid it isn't. Or at last wasn't intended that way.

Which leads me to my second question:


2) Does it matter?


Socrates and/or Plato wrote in "The Apology":
After the politicians, I went to the poets; tragic, dithyrambic, and all sorts. And there, I said to myself, you will be instantly detected; now you will find out that you are more ignorant than they are. Accordingly, I took them some of the most elaborate passages in their own writings, and asked what was the meaning of them, thinking that they would teach me something. Will you believe me? I am almost ashamed to confess the truth, but I must say that there is hardly a person present who would not have talked better about their poetry than they did themselves. Then I knew that not by wisdom do poets write poetry, but by a sort of genius and inspiration; they are like diviners or soothsayers who also say many fine things, but do not understand the meaning of them....
I think that may be the case here. Whatever the artist may have thought he intended, the Muse had her way with him,and, at least from an artistic point of view, intent is irrelevant. Whether the artist is mocking the protesters, or the Muse the artist, it's brilliant satire.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Laurie said...

Unfortunately, I think it's real. Part of me hopes this guy is sincere and not just trying to get his Praise and Worship/ Patriotic Country career jump started by trying to create a viral video by hitting what he thinks are all the right emotional buttons. Either way, it's gross.

Monday, August 23, 2010 8:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home