Saturday, December 17, 2005

Jive Train's Antones Swan Song

Yes, it's once again time for Jive Train at Antones. But this time, disturbing rumors were circulating prior to the show. One was that Jive Train is breaking up. The other was that the lead singer was sick and wouldn't make the show.

As it turns out, the rumors were true. The band started out by announcing that it was their last performance at Antones and that the singer was sick, but a friend had stepped up to the plate and taken his place.

Their replacement was good, but didn't seem to have the funk repertoire of their regular front man. Lynyrd Skynyrd and John Mellencamp weren't exactly what I expected at a Jive Train show. But that's not the weird part.

After playing for an hour or so, the band took a break. I left to run an errand and got back about a song and a half into the second set. Not long after that, they announced that Tracy Byrd was in the audience and invited him up to join the band in a song. The keyboard player from Zona Jones's band was there too, and he took over the keyboard part of Jive Train's sax/keyboard player's job. And it seems that other people just wandered onto the stage at will. At one point they had on stage three people playing guitars (to electric and one acoustic), one playing bass, two playing saxophones, one on trombone, one on keyboards and one on drums. And then there were the girls from the audience dancing on the stage.

You might think that Mr. Byrd would do one song and sit down. But you would be wrong. He sang for at least an hour, doing mostly country standbys (You Don't Have to Call Me Darlin', Darlin'; Luckenbach Texas; Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain; etc.) before retiring to the back and backing up the band when they moved back to somewhat funkier stuff.

It was a uniquely enjoyable show and all very unexpected.

Jive Train will be back on Crockett Street one more time (but not in Antones) for New Years eve, and that will be the band's last performance. I'll miss 'em.

You can see the proof here.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Laurie said...

I was just about to write a post to go with the pictures I posted last night and thought I'd check over here first. You just saved me about 20 minutes.

Saturday, December 17, 2005 9:39:00 AM  
Blogger Mommy said...

Finally, it's announced! I've known about the break up since Pre-Katrina days... I have to hide my secret no longer. (Brian told me not to tell.)

Saturday, December 17, 2005 11:39:00 AM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Wow, Jen! I know who to tell my secrets to. I've mentioned Jive Train to you a million times since Katrina and you never even hinted that you knew any scoop. Good job.

Sunday, December 18, 2005 9:07:00 AM  
Blogger Mommy said...

it was difficult to hold it in, especially since i know how much you like those guys.

Sunday, December 18, 2005 9:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Wang, it is soooo good to hear from you. I am very disappointed to hear that Jive Train is breaking up and equally disappointed to learn that I not only missed your return to Antoine's but that I also missed the impromptu Tracy Byrd mini-concert. Such is the life of Jane!!! xoxo Poodles

Monday, December 19, 2005 10:25:00 AM  
Blogger Jack said...

Poodles,

I was really tempted to spell his name "Traci Bird."

But I didn't.

But I shoulda.

Monday, December 19, 2005 12:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You bad boy!!!

Monday, December 19, 2005 1:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and I apologize for referring to you as Wang. I forgot you're now Jack -- no Wang. xoxo Poodles

Monday, December 19, 2005 1:33:00 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

Jack... Wang... Either way, it's just a variation on a theme.



And that theme is characters in Big Trouble in Little China.

Monday, December 19, 2005 2:25:00 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Traci Bird? Hmmm. I think she used to do my hair.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 7:09:00 AM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Hey!!!!!!!! I'm your 10,000th visitor!!

I cheated a bit because I was originally 9998 so I hit refresh a couple of times, but it still counts.

Merry Christmas!

Saturday, December 24, 2005 12:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home