Monday, January 22, 2007

Livin' in a Hell Hole

The house I live in was a fixer-upper when I bought it a bit over 10 years ago, and it seems like for every upper that's gotten fixed a couple downers cropped up to take its place. In particular, age, poor design, and bad plumbing have taken their toll on the kitchens and bathrooms, which are moving into the realm of the just plain disgusting.

In the kitchen, cabinet hardware has deteriorated to the point where some of the cupboard doors have just fallen off, an unnoticed drip from a window air conditioner has rotted out a wall, and if the drains aren't regularly treated with lye, the washing machine backs up and drains onto the kitchen floor (and no, I don't know why they decided that the kitchen was a good place for the washer and dryer hookups).

There are two bathrooms. One of them developed a hole in the floor at the edge of the bathtub, and it's been in the process of getting remodeled for about the last five years. Once the floor got replaced, the tile laid, and the toilet and tub connected, I sort of lost interest. In the other bathroom, the toilet developed a leak where the tank connects, so it's had the water turned off for a couple years. The drain on the sink recently developed a leak too, so it has a bucket under it.

One of these days I'll get around to fixing all that stuff. In the meantime, I think this pretty well sums it up:

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Laurie said...

Oh, my. That was in the saddest of all keys.

Monday, January 22, 2007 7:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mister, You need a vacation!

Tuesday, January 23, 2007 5:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That video is hysterical without the sound!

I just had my bathroom updated without tearing anything out or replacing, but it was all in good repair. I did get a new floor, but it's linoleum, not tile. :-( But that with new paint and crown molding made a HUGE difference.

I watch those DIY/HGTV renovation shows sometimes, and they make it look easy. Ha!

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 5:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home