Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Are you in your right mind?

Fascinating thing from the Daily Telegraph.

Click on the link, follow the instructions, and report back.










Apparently I'm pretty right headed. I tried to focus and make her change direction, but couldn't make it work.

Then I remembered studies that were discussed in a philosophy class I took twenty-something years ago wherein it was learned the brain may process information differently depending on which eye sees is. I think the experiment involved something like showing one eye a picture of a chicken and the other a shovel, then when asked what they say, they'd say chicken but point to the shovel. Something like that, anyway. Then the left brain, being in charge of language, would make up a lie about why the right brain was pointing at the shovel (to shovel up the chicken poop, or something). Something like that, anyway.

So I thought to myself that if I close one eye, maybe she'll spin the other way. But my eyes weren't that easily fooled. Still clockwise regardless of which eye I closed.

But then I looked away from the computer and when I did, I thought I saw something funny out of the corner of my eye. And sure enough I did. I repeated the experiment, and as soon as I'd turned my head far enough that the image passed from the field of view of my left eye, she changed directions.

But the even odder thing was that although no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get her to change directions while watching with both eyes, when she was turning counter-clockwise, it was easy to think her into turning clockwise again.

Brains sure are funny things.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Mommy said...

That's weird. I initially saw her turning clockwise, then after reading the list for a few seconds and glancing back, she was turning counter-clockwise. Weird.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 11:04:00 AM  
Blogger Jack said...

Hmmm....

On my home computer, she'll do whatever I tell her to do without any focusing or concentrating or anything.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 12:51:00 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

I'm the opposite of Jen (though not in most matters). When I initially looked at her, she was definitely going counter-clockwise.

I read the list, then looked back and she was turning clockwise and I can't make her go back, which is driving me nuts since I know she can appear to be going counter-clockwise because I just saw her do it!

If I look at only her feet out of my right peripheral vision, I can briefly see her going counter-clockwise again...until I look directly at her.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 1:18:00 PM  
Blogger Susan in St. Paul said...

I started with counter-clockwise, and then reversed her, I can go either way.

So SM, are you saying your office effects how your brain works?

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 10:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home