Friday, October 22, 2004

Early Voting

We've got it here in Texas, and I did it yesterday.

Once upon a time, I learned in a high school Government class (or maybe some other class) that a secret ballot was called an "Australian Ballot." I don't have anything against Australia--in fact, I'd love to go for a visit--but it's still uncomfortably foreign for my tastes, especially when it comes to politics.

So to heck with the Australians, I'm telling all.

I've never voted Libertarian for President before. It was fun "throwing away" a totally meaningless vote.

Voted Democrat for Congress (House of Reps.) for the first time. Those damn Republicans were calling me every day at 10 a.m. to play me a recording about how bad out incumbent Democrat Nick Lampson is. He voted against Homeland Security!!!! Ordinarily, these calls wouldn't bother me, because I'd be at work and I'd just erase them as soon as they started playing on the answering machine. But lately I've been taking time off and sleeping late. So screw 'em, sez I. Besides, I know Nick, sort of, and he's not a bad guy. (The NRA gave him an "A" rating and its endorsement. His opponent also got an NRA "A" rating. God Bless Texas.)

Anyway, the annoying phone calls from the Republicans were more than enough enough to beat out Nick's idiotic commercials whining that his Republican challanger (a former Houston judge) wasn't sufficiently harsh with a couple of the 25,000 criminal defendants that came through his court over the years. Plus, I was really offended by the redistricting crap that the Republicans pulled this year. I ain't votin for no damn city-slicker carpetbagger from Houston, even if he is in our district now.

And I voted Democrat or Libertarian in every judicial race where there was a choice. Now that Texas courts act like they're a wholly owned subsidiary of the Chamber of Commerce, I can no longer bring myself to vote for a Repblican, regardless of the stupid positions most Democrats take on most issues near and dear to my heart.

In most other contested races, it was either a Republican of a Libertarian. In most cases, there weren't even any Democrats on the ballot. So I voted Libertarian. Can't hurt. Hell, can't even make a difference.

But I voted for the incument Republican for State Board of Education, because I share his far right-wing views. Plus, I think its funny to re-elect a home-schooler to the State Board of Education. And besides, he's sort of a friend of mine and I think he does a good job.

Just a hunch, but I don't think they're going to let me be Precinct 7 Republican Party Chairman again. At least I hope not.

Which brings me to my conclusion. I like gridlock. Gridlock was a friend of mine. I miss gridlock. Gridlock was the secret to Clinton's success. Gridlock could have prevented the war in Iraq. Gridlock could have derailed the idiotic spending bills that Congress has been passing and the President signing. Gridlock is the only thing that can save this country from it's government. From now on, I'm voting for gridlock every chance I get.

That is all.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't get US politics. I don't think many Australians do even though there's probably been more coverage about it than our own elections not too long ago. Bush and Kerry have made the front page of every newspaper and have been the subject of most of the caricatures.

Here gridlock is so frustratingly bad. Nothing gets done. Opposition parties oppose on principle and good bills go begging.

~random law student

Thursday, November 04, 2004 6:16:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home