Monday, June 06, 2005

My Wine Futures.

A couple years ago I bought some 2001 Bordeaux futures. They arrived recently. Big deal, you say, 2001 wasn't such a great year for Bordeauxs. And you'd be right, if we were talking reds. But mine were Sauternes (sweet white dessert wines), and for Sauternes, 2001 was about as good as it gets.

And I chose wisely.

I now have in my wine fridge six bottles (actually, these are all 375 ml half bottles) of 2001 Chateau Climens (Wine Spectator 100 points), 12 bottles of Rieussec (WS 99), six bottled of Suduiraut (WS 98), six bottles of LaTour Blanche (WS 97), six of LaFaurie-Peyraguey (WS 96), and a dozen others nearly as highly rated. Most of these have at least doubled or tripled in price since I bought them, which makes me feel like a real smarty-pants. (If only my 401k had done half as well.)

I'm hoping that by the time they're ready to drink in 2010 or so I'll be able to pronounce their names properly.

And by that time, I might even have someone to drink them with.

I believe that's the year my son turns 21.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Bordeaux etc. sound lovely, but me thinks thou doth drink too much.

Tuesday, June 07, 2005 12:01:00 AM  
Blogger Jack said...

Jimminy Christmas! I have to wait at least five years before they're ready to drink! Perhaps thou shouldest rephraseth and say thou doest thinks I wilth drinketh too much in years to come.

But then you'd be slurring your speech and people would think YOU were drunk.

Tuesday, June 07, 2005 12:12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No one would ever believe that I could be drunk . . . I'm too boring for such frivolity.

As to your drinking, I wasn't referring to the Bordeaux. Your mistress from Kentucky is the problem.

Tuesday, June 07, 2005 12:23:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe under your charmimg influence I will be drinking by then too.

Wednesday, June 08, 2005 4:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wang, the last comment doesn't make any sense.

Wednesday, June 08, 2005 8:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it makes sense to me, Dave ;-)

How about you, Wang? make any sense?

Wednesday, June 08, 2005 9:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand that one keeps old wine for collection or resale purposes, but won't your wine turn to vinegar by 2010? Is this a prestige thing or will it really taste better?

Wednesday, June 08, 2005 9:44:00 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

FSGFTM-- I'm a bit confused.

Thumbalina-- It all depends on the wine. For instance, a good Bordeaux can be sort of harsh when its young, but when properly stored, it gets better over time. Of course, sooner or later they'll pass their prime, but that can be a long, long time. The 2001 Sauternes mentioned above should be at their best from about 2010 to 2030. I have some 2000 vintage port that won't be at its best until 2020 or later.

On the other hand, there are a lot of wines that won't improve with age and will go bad after a few years.

And, regardless of the wine, it's not going to improve with age unless it's properly stored.

Thursday, June 09, 2005 12:43:00 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

And I don't have any for prestige or resale purposes. I plan on drinking them all when they're ready to be drunk.

Thursday, June 09, 2005 12:56:00 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Not only do I have a lot to learn about Al Stewart, I have a lot to learn about wine.

Friday, June 10, 2005 6:38:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wang, you may not have wine for prestige, but your refrigerator is pretty swanky.

Monday, June 13, 2005 7:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think he just likes thinking about his wine, self prestige in a way. Of course he is talking about it in public...

Monday, June 13, 2005 8:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous, the self prestige portion sounds like something Wang would say.

Monday, June 13, 2005 10:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thumby-
How positively frightening!
It is hardly the manner in which I wish to coalesce with Wang.

Tuesday, June 14, 2005 6:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home