Saturday, August 20, 2005

Eric Johnson at Antone's

Last night it was Texas Guitar Legend Eric Johnson played at Antone's. I've never seen so many people in Antone's so early. By the time it was time for Johnson to play, it was packed. The call-the-fire-marshal-and-he'll-shut-the-place-down kind of packed.

But first it was Ward, Bowen and Steinman, a trio (as the name implies) that plays "an eclectic mix of folk, country rock, bluegrass, rock and roll, and jazz." And they do it very well. You can see them the first Friday of each month at the Logon Cafe. They're definitely worth a look.

As I said before, Antone's was more crowded than I've ever seen it. By the time I got there (around 8:30), the tables were all long gone, and the only place I could find to stand was right next to the stage. He's a phenomenal guitar player, but the vocals were weak. And for me, it's the vocals that make the music interesting. And once the opening act was done, this show just didn't hold my interest for long.

I can't sit through the symphony either. I'm such a philistine.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like you had a fairly good standing position ;-)

Yeah, I went to watch Vernon Reed open for some big deal performer in a packed place, one of my cousin's plays with Vernon so when they hit town its sort of obligatory and besides we get in free. The big deal was not so good, so we left, people were shocked.

When Al Stewart opened for Dave Mason, Al was so infinitely better than Dave it was a pain to hear Dave play.

I can sit through some chamber music, and a few orchestral pieces, but I often leave at intermission ;-)

Saturday, August 20, 2005 7:59:00 PM  
Blogger Mommy said...

Wang! I knew it was you I saw! I went with Brian (my guitar-playin' boyfriend) to the Eric Johnson show. He was so psyched about it... He envies EJ's guitar chops. Brian told me before the show not to expect much lyrically (since I'm all about the lyrics)... "Jen, this is a guitar player's show. Not a songwriter's show." He was right.

We stood RIGHT IN FRONT of the stage. I think the subwoofer vibrations to which I was exposed for half the night have left me with some nerve damage.

Tuesday, August 23, 2005 7:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home