Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Courville's Recap

9 Station Drive, Charlie A'Court and dinner for ten bucks. With two dollar draft. Can't beat that. Too bad more people didn't take advantage of the deal. There's no way anyone made any money off this deal, but it sure was a good show.

Actually, it wasn't quite the 9 Station Drive that I've seen so many times before. It was 9 Station Drive's acoustic follies. We had Eric Currie with his guitar and vocals, and the drummer with the harmonica (whose name I don't know). The rest of the band didn't make it. They did an acoustic set that was much heavier on their original material than most times I've seem them. I quite enjoyed the show, although Mr. Currie seemed to have the worst luck I've ever seen with guitar strings. After the first one broke, he switched guitars. And when the D string on the second guitar broke, the replacement broke when he was restringing it. I think that was his last D string and he had to make do with a tightly-wound E. But he made it work just fine.

And then there was Charlie A'Court, a blues man from Nova Scotia. I had no idea that anyone in Canada even got the blues, much less sang them, but Mr. A'Court did a fine job. He combined some pretty fancy guitar work with an unusually powerful voice and an extraordinary intensity of emotion. Pretty good stuff. I bought the CD. You can read more about the show here.


Courville's seems to be pretty good at picking their bands, but not so good at getting the word out. So I'll give them a hand. Here are some upcoming shows:

September 21: Chip Taylor and Carrie Rodriguez. That would be the Chip Taylor who wrote "Wild Thing." You can read what NPR had to say about them here. I can't find an official website, but this one and this one and this one look sort of close.

October 13: Hayes Carll. I would say that I can't say enough good things about him, but I think that I have. Anything further would be unseemly gushing. Just go see him.

Sometime thereafter: Fred Eaglesmith. Another one that I haven't heard of who looks pretty promising. You can visit his website here.

Also sometime thereafter: Texas Music Legend Billy Joe Shaver.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Laurie said...

I shall do my best to get the word out about Courville's also. Surely I can drag some of my low-life entourage out there. :)

Thursday, September 08, 2005 6:48:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All mighty Wang, tell me of this Courvilles. . .location?

Thursday, September 08, 2005 10:42:00 AM  
Blogger Jack said...

Courville's location:

From I-10, head out west on College (US 90) until you're about half way to China. It's just past the Mobil refinery on the left side where 90 intersects Rose Lane.

The address is 1744 Rose Lane. There's no crossover in 90 at Rose Lane, so you have to pass it and do a U-turn.

Thursday, September 08, 2005 11:23:00 AM  
Blogger Laurie said...

I just listened to the Chip Taylor/Carrie Rodriguez clips. We should do that next week. I shall try to round up the usual suspects.

Wednesday, September 14, 2005 7:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home