Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Gibson?

Everyone else is talking about it, so I might as well toss in my two cents' worth.

A Gibson should be made with Gin and a splash of Vermouth, shaken over ice, strained, and garnished with a cocktail onion.



They should be enjoyed in moderation, except on those occasions when excess seems more appropriate. In no event should they be used as an excuse for abusive behavior.



Something just don't smell right about that Gibson thing. And by "that Gibson thing," I mean Mel's recent unpleasantness. He's supposed to have been battling alcoholism all his adult life. And he gets pulled over with a 0.12 BAC. That's something like one lousey six pack. Someone with as much practice being drunk as he claims to have should barely be feeling it. Sorry, but I just don't buy it. Either they fudged on the BAC in the police report, or alcohol is only a tiny part of Mel's problem.




HAMLET: Ay, sir, what of him?
GUILDENSTERN: Is in his retirement marvellous distempered.
HAMLET: With drink, sir?
GUILDENSTERN: No, my lord, rather with choler.



I've been doing a little experiment this evening. If those charts are accurate, I'm well over 0.12 by now. This ain't nothin'. If I wanted to, I could drive right now without attracting any unwanted attention. It might not be legal, but I wouldn't be giving anyone a reason to pull me over. There's no way in hell I'd be going 87 in a 45 zone. (I'm at home, so I won't be testing that theory.) And Mel's had at least 7 more years practice than I have.

So far, I see three possibilities:

1. Someone fudged the BAC on the police report to make Mel seem less naughty than he really was.
2. Mel is an asshole. Figures he can buy and sell any one of those damned cops, and he can damn well do whatever he pleases, and if they stand in his way, he'll squash them like the bugs they are.
3. Mel has serious emotional problems. Something in his life is so screwed up that. at least for a time, he didn't give a rat's ass about anything.

I'm thinking number 3. The whole package of behavior seems too intentionally self-destructive for it to be anything else.

I feel your pain, Mel.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounded strange to me too, and his outburst that was supposedly so bad that he made a public apology.

Sounds like he has some other problems.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006 11:23:00 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

I suspect that he was pissed off and he decided that the cop was Jewish, and he couldn't think of anything more creative to insult him with. He probably would have gotten off a lot easier in the long run if he'd just pulled a Zsa Zsa and slapped the cop.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006 11:41:00 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

I saw the cop on television last night and he is Jewish. He seemed like a nice guy and he basically said that, as soon as he is allowed, he will be telling the world everything that Mel said.

Unlike a lot of people, I think he's sincere in his apology. Maybe it's those blue eyes.

I've always thought he probably has a bi-polar disorder. Mix anti-psychotic medication and alcohol while in the middle of a manic episode...bad news.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006 9:27:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Laurie. Bettin' on pills.

Thursday, August 03, 2006 10:21:00 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

maybe the stress of 7 children is getting to him

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 2:50:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

chronic and acute alcoholism can damage ones liver thus retarding their bodys ability to metabolize the booze, allowing one to get sloppy drunk after just a few.

The unknown recovering drunk.

Thursday, September 14, 2006 8:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The picture and the Hamlet quotation don't match.

If he's manic-depressive, that would explain a lot about his interpretation of Hamlet. (Which I loved.)

swfuraj: Single white female ultimately resolved against jujitsu.

Friday, December 01, 2006 9:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home