Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Baby

This is my dog. His name is baby. I don't know why we named him that. I guess someone thought it was funny at the time.



Anyway, few weeks ago, Baby started limping around. I thought he'd cut his paw or something, but when it didn't seem to be getting better, I took him to the vet. The nail bed was infected, so the vet cleaned it out, wrapped it up, and gave me a pain killer and some antibiotics. After a few days, it seemed to be all better.

Then a week or so later, he started limping around again. I took him back to the vet, and this time he removed the claw and took a tissue sample to have it analyzed. A couple days later, he called and said that it was squamous cell carcinoma, which, apparently, is something that Rottweilers are prone to get. Assuming it's caught early enough, the treatment is to remove the digit.

I took him in this morning for the operation along with x-rays and a needle biopsy of the lymph nodes to make sure the cancer hadn't spread. Unfortunately, the dog came home with all his toes intact.

Here's why:



A healthy lung shows black on an x-ray (presumably because there's nothing in it but air). This is a low quality cell phone picture, but that's still pretty much what the x-ray looked like--one lung riddled with cancer.

The vet said he's got maybe two months, maybe six months, and there's really nothing left to do but try to make him as comfortable as possible and treat the pain.

I never wanted a dog. My ex- brought him home about seven years ago, and he stayed when she left. But apart from his annoying tendency to take himself for walks when I was too busy or too tired or whatever (which has resulted in a couple run-ins with the dog catcher), he's been a pretty darned good dog. I really had no idea how attached I'd become to him. I'm sure going to miss him.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Laurie said...

I'm so sorry for you and Baby.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 9:26:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For people who aren't dog lovers they don't get how hard it is to lose one. My dogs have always been my best friends. They love you unconditionally.

I know what you're going through. Hang tough and cry like a girl if you need to. Hell get on that Harley and take a road trip.

Baby Sis

Thursday, January 25, 2007 7:47:00 AM  
Blogger Mommy said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry. I used to have a Rottweiler too. My ex kept her when I left. I miss her all the time!

Again, sorry for you and your puppy. :(

Thursday, January 25, 2007 3:41:00 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

I'm sorry to hear about your boy. I had a similar experience with a cat. I was never a cat person, but felt sorry for a little abandoned runt in the dead of winter. I thought I'd take him in and give him a warm place to die. He did die. Twenty years later. His ashes are on the mantle and I tell him goodnight every night. I know it won't be easy, but I hope you and Baby enjoy the time he has left.

Thursday, January 25, 2007 10:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about Baby! My cat probably has cancer. I will spare you the story about my last Dobermann, whom I still miss every day even though we just got another one. I bawled when we lost him. Best wishes for you and Baby.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 5:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home