Sunday, June 17, 2007

More Movie Recommendations

After the Virginia Tech shootings, I read that the shooter was obsessed with a Korean movie called "Oldboy," so naturally, I had to check it out.



Having seen the movie, I don't see how it might have related to the shooter's crimes, but I do see why he liked it. Sort of a Korean Quentin Hitchcock movie. It rates a four pancake stack.

Having liked one of Chan-wook Park’s movies, I thought I'd take a look at his other work. According to Netflix, Oldboy is is the middle installment in Chan-wook Park’s revenge trilogy, the first installment being Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, and the last Lady Vengeance. Oldboy's clearly the best of the three, and the only one that merit's an unqualified recommendation. Mr. Vengeance is worth a look, while Lady Vengeance is probably best left to compulsive completests, in my opinion.

But he had another one on Netflix that I signed up for at the same time as the otehrs, and that was Joint Security Area.



I'm not sure that this one rates a full four pancake stack, but it's one that makes you think. Or at least makes me think. Pontius Pilate said, "What is truth?" This one asks, "What's it worth?" Like I needed more to think about. It's an interesting quesion, but I still haven't even worked through Pilate's problem yet.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Laurie said...

Quentin Hitchcock? Who could pass that up? The summer of reruns with no Rock Star INXS and no Rock Star Supernova just might end up being the summer of Netflix.

Monday, June 18, 2007 6:33:00 AM  
Blogger Mommy said...

Tarantino is too graphic for my tastes. :P I like Hitchcock though... leaves more to the imagination.

If you want to see a good graphic movie, watch "Pan's Labryinth." I had to get up and leave the room several times, but I bet you could handle it, you big strong man, you.

Monday, June 18, 2007 12:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home