Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Election Stuff.

It's not quie 10:30 CST, and I'm watching the election returns on TV. At this point, thre's not enough information to call it on the Presidential election.

And I'm remembering the first election that I got really involved in. It was 1998, and I did stuff fot the Bush 41 campaing. Enough to get an invite to the election-night thing at the George R. Brown Convention Center thing in Houston where Mr. Bush had his victory celebration.

Back then, I was excited about it. I believed that my candidate was better than the other. And I was very happy to see him win. Happy enough to gloat about some friends who went to the wrong post-election party. To my everlasting shame.

This time, I don't know what to think. I intensely dislike Mr. Kerry, but on the other hand, I don't think that Mr. Bush deserves another term. No President who gets into a war that was not absolutely necessary deserves another term. But, my God, Kerry sucks.

Now they're reporting that Bush has a 52-40somehting% lead, but they won't make a call. Lawsuits will ensue. That sucks.

But in local stuff, I am very disappointed to see that Nick Lampson has conceded the District 2 Congressional seat to Ted Poe. I've got nothing against Ted Poe, but Nick has done a good job, and I think the mid-term redistricting that ther Republicans did was truly dispicable. Although I was a life-long Republican and a former Republican precinct chairman, I voted for Lampson. I was sorry to see him lose.

And as a life-long Republican. I hope that the Republicans get a firm hold on Congress (enough to deny Kerry his Supreme Court choices), and that Bush loses the Presidency. And that after the election, nothing gets done. Please God, give us Four Years of Gridlock.

No matter how this one comes out, I can't imagine attending a "victory" party for either candidate. I fear for the future of my country. Whatever the outcome, it will not be good.

(I suppose I have further undermined my chances of ever getting the federal judicial judicial appointment that I have long coveted.)

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Laurie said...

I had a hard time choosing between the two candidates and still wasn't sure I had made the right choice. On the way to work this morning, I misunderstood something on the radio and thought Kerry had won. (I had decided I was sick of the whole thing and wouldn't read the paper or turn on the television until I got to work.) When I thought Kerry had won, I got a sick feeling in my stomach. I guess I had a preference after all.

Wednesday, November 03, 2004 12:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home