Monday, March 07, 2005

Another visit to the eye doctor.

I saw the eye doctor again last week. Everything continues to look good, and Dr. Goosey for the first time expressed some enthusiam for doing the other eye.

This is something that I really wasn't sure I wanted to get done because after you have a penetrating keratoplasty (which is what I had on my left eye), the new cornea begins losing cells and after ten to twenty years the graft fails and the procedure has to be repeated. My thought was that as long as I was able to see out of one eye, it would be better to leave the other one alone.

Well, it turns out that a penetrating keratoplasty isn't the only option for my right eye. Apparently, the cornea is layered like an onion. It can be cut to the desired depth and then peeled off, leaving a layer of the original tissue in place. The replacement tissue is then sewn in on top of the remaining original cornea. The procedure is called a lamellar keratoplasty, and Dr. Goosey tells me, it has been shown to avoid the cell loss problem.

So I guess I'll have to scrape together another few thousand dollars and schedule a week or two off work.

One of these days.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Laurie said...

More surgery, more insomnia, more wine, more writing. I like it.

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 6:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home