Saturday, November 13, 2004

A recommendation, not a review.

I got an e-mail yesterday (Thursday) from 9 Station Drive, my favorite semi-local, semi-original, semi-cover, kick ass club band. And the e-mail said that they were playing Thursday night at Courville's in Beaumont with Hayes Carll.

I'd never heard of Courville's, and, as far as I could tell, no one else had either. But I like 9 Station Drive (their version of "Dead Flowers" is way better than the Stones'), and I thought liked Hayes Carll. I'd only seen him once before when he opened for Al Stewart at the Mucky Duck in Houston. I thought he was significantly above average. And the Mucky Duck is a damn fine place to hear good music.

So I found someone to drive me out there and listened to the bands. The $15 cover charge included a buffet that was not entirely impressive, although I thought the gumbo was good. But I didn't go for the food. I went to see Hayes Carll.

And let me tell you, folks, he's the real deal. Two thumbs way up, and I even bought his new album. Great stage presence, really good song writing, good singing, and all that kind of stuff. If you like guys who play guitar and sing songs that aren't stupid or sappy, you might like him. I know I did. I think he may have displaced Ray Wylie Hubbard as the top of the heap for the moment in my view of the Texas music pantheon.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Laurie said...

In vino veritas? Very clever.

Sunday, November 14, 2004 1:00:00 AM  
Blogger Zina said...

There's a place in Beaumont called COURVILLE'S??

Sunday, November 14, 2004 9:23:00 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Hey John, Zina is my cousin. She must have wandered over here from the link I put on my site. I'm increasing your traffic! Good for me. (I'm sure the reason for her post is that Courville is our mothers' maiden name.)

Monday, November 15, 2004 6:38:00 AM  
Blogger Jack said...

Yes, there is indeed a place called Courville's in Beaumont, or maybe just outside of Beaumont. It's out on 90 past Keith Road.

Monday, November 15, 2004 12:11:00 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

Hi...I also wandered over via Laurie's website, and just spent all the rest of my allowable TV viewing time reading your logs, and feeling little rushes of "I know what you mean...". I was especially psyched to read your review of Firefly---I think it was the smartest, funniest, truest to itself TV series, and I regret its demise.
Thanks for saving me from CSI, Miami. It isn't even a delectable guilt-promoting waste of time anymore.

Monday, November 15, 2004 8:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home