Wednesday, November 17, 2004

What I think about while I lie awake at night, Part II: Is there a psychologist in the house?

As I said in the last post, I often wake up in the middle of the night with some question or idea that won't go away, and that I end up lying awake thinking about it for hours when I'd much rather be sleeping. There's a definite association, but what about causation? Is there some subconscious need to lie awake thinking about these things, or are these just things that occupy my mind when I can't sleep for other reasons? Did the sleeplessness come from the thinking, or the thinking from the sleeplessness? Which came first?

And, as I said in the previous post, I spent hour after sleepless hour last night thinking about a scene from Apollo 13. During one of those hours, I took a brief detour and as I wandered down that road, I ran across this "chicken or the egg" problem.

If this were something work related--something that I'd been working over in the back of my mind--and my subconscious was just shouting "Eureka!" and insisting that I pay attention, I'd go with the thinking causing the sleeplessness.

But I have no idea why, out of the blue, I would feel compelled to try to imagine as many possible (or impossible) explanations for what happens to heat in space.

Maybe someday a psychologist well studied in these things will run across this blog and post an explanation in the comments section.

Or maybe I've got it all wrong. Maybe it's not so much a "chicken or the egg" as a Wild Turkey problem.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Laurie said...

Just a thought, but even the hottest soup gets cold in the Thermos after a while. Within the vacuum, there wouldn't be anything to replace the heat lost so, wouldn't you eventually get colder and colder?

Saturday, November 27, 2004 9:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your drunkeness causes your sleeplessness, and your lack of sleep causes your brooding. Why do you drink? This is you problem. Remove your cynicism and your problem will be solved. We, however, would miss the excitement and wit.

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 2:11:00 AM  
Blogger Jack said...

Thanks, Bambi. I'll put down one vote for the Wild Turkey theory.

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 10:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home