Friday, February 10, 2006

Last night at Cactus Canyon

Last night at Cactus Canyon it was Leon Russell with his band. I have to admit that when I heard Leon Russell was playing, the first thing that went through my head was "should I know who Leon Russell is?" After looking at his website, I concluded that I should. And he came pretty highly recommended by our friends over at Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans. Good music, but muddy, overdriven sound. We'll give him another chance, but for now, Leon's on probation.

Curiously, the sound system worked fine for the opening act. The opening act was Adam Hood, who's not at all on probation. Adam Hood's one of those guys who plays an acoustic guitar and sings songs he wrote himself, or with his drummer/producer Justin Johnson (who backed up Hood with a snare drum and cymbal). The songs and the performance were both very good. Worth seeing even without the benefit of alcohol.


_______________________

Coming to Cactus Canyon March 30, 2006: Little River Band. I've seen them a couple times on Crockett Street, and they've always put on a good show.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Laurie said...

Excellent review as always. I was hesitant to do one because I didn't want to bad mouth Leon but putting him on probation is a nice touch.

You get a link and a Mardi Gras flash from Miss New Orleans.

Friday, February 10, 2006 11:32:00 AM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Flash of a smile, that is.

(Hello, to the younger man of the house.)

Friday, February 10, 2006 11:33:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doesn't "muddy" pretty perfectly describe his style? I can't imagine that his voice is becoming clearer with age.

Saturday, February 11, 2006 2:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home