Saturday, April 01, 2006

Little River Band, Again.

A while back I saw the Little River Band at an outdoor thing on Crockett Street. At the time, the only song I associated with them was "Cool Change," but it turned out that they had a whole lot of songs that I knew that I didn't know were theirs, and I quite enjoyed the show. Consequently, I was quite looking forward to seeing them at Cactus Canyon last Thursday.

ESC4P3, the part-time Journey tribute band that opened for Styx when they played Cactus Canyon opened the show for the Little River Band. I'm not a big Journey fan, but I think ESC4P3 does it about as well as it can be done, and I find their performances entertaining.

Unfortunately, the Little River Band didn't get the same spectacular sound quality that Styx got. It wasn't as bad as the muddy, overdriven mush of the the Leon Russell show, but the sound quality was considerably less than what the band deserved.

Both bands performed well, but they were hampered by the sub-par sound and a crowd that was too small for the room, or a room that was too big for the crowd. Either way, it was insufficiently concentrated to deliver the excitement that makes for a really good live show. All in all, an OK evening, but still a bit of a let down.

Labels: ,