Monday, April 17, 2006

It's Such a Good Feeling

It's such a good feeling to know you're alive.
It's such a happy feeling: You're growing inside.
And when you wake up ready to say,
"I think I'll make a snappy new day."
It's such a good feeling, a very good feeling,
The feeling you know that we're friends.

Hi, neighbors!

As some of you may have surmised from my previous posts, I gave up alcohol for Lent. Cold turkey, not to mention Wild Turkey and Cold Duck. Actually, if the truth be told, it was a little longer than just for Lent. I swore off Demon Rum shortly after the law firm Christmas party, a party of which I have no memory--just a vague feeling of unease. So far, no one has seen fit to clue me in to what might be behind that feeling, if there was ever anything to begin with.

Anyway, the promise that I made to myself was that I'd give up booze completely for Lent (including even the Sundays that by some reckonings aren't included in Lent), but I wasn't actually going to wait for Lent to start. From December 23rd through April 15th, not a drop.

I found that going to see bands wasn't quite so much fun as I'd thought, but other than that, no difference. Still, I stuck with it 'till the end, because I also promised myself that if I cheated even a little, I'd start over from the beginning.

Lent ended at the stroke of midnight last Saturday. I'd had a considerably long time to think about what I was going to have to break my fast, but what I settled on was really a last minute choice:


Kissui Miyanoyuki (Classic)
Type: Junmai-shu ~ Size: 500ml, 1.8L

Excellent of medium body and traditional style sake. Light,smooth & well balanced. Hard and crisp texture with mild aroma. Great with mildly seasoned beef and chicken. Serve at room temperture to warm.

Alcohol : 15-16%


I'm really not sure why. I don't really like sake all that much, but for some reason, it had been calling to me. But it apparently hadn't been calling all that loud, because all I cared to drink was one little sake cup full, which has about a quarter of the alcohol of a shot of Bourbon.

Today I decided to finish the bottle (it's only a half liter, so the alcohol content is less than a bottle of wine). And I think I figured out why I picked sake. Even if it doesn't taste all that great, it's such a happy drink. Like the man said:

It's such a good feeling, a very good feeling,
The feeling you know that we're friends.

With apologies to Mr. Rogers.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Laurie said...

I love a happy buzz.

The best word verifier yet:

upyooltx

(that one needs nothing from me)

Monday, April 17, 2006 10:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quite the admirable accomplishment! Hearty congratulations!

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 3:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If someone wants to tell me what really wrong thing happened re: Wang at the party, or the thing that gave him such a now edited down "a vague feeling of unease" that he stopped drinking, I would be happy to hear, and I can tell him if you'd like or not.

Based on my personal experience, I suspect he probably said he'd do something then didn't do it because he was in a blackout. Depending on what that thing was, it could be a big deal or it could be nothing.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 9:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home