Sunday, April 08, 2007

ZZ Top at Ford Park

This was my second time to see ZZ Top at the spectacularly poorly managed Ford Park. For my thoughts on their idiotic security measures, see my previous post, Why I hate Ford Park: Reason # 23. Reason # 24 is that in the whole damn place, they don't have a single ATM. My son asked me to pick up a T-shirt for him, and after I'd spent $35 on that, I had very little cash left for food and beer, and for a show that's supposed to go from about 5:00 p.m. to midnight where everything's seriously overpriced, that can be a problem. Reason # 25 is that they'll let you leave to find an ATM elsewhere, but if you do, you can't get back in without buying another ticket.

Did I mention that it was about 40 degrees and raining? That part wasn't Ford Park's fault, but the fact that I had to spend at least an hour waiting in line in the 40 degree rain was. That was at least 45 minutes to get through "security," and then at least another 15 minutes waiting for someone to check my ID (I'm only 43 years old after all) so I could get a wristband and stamp that would allow me to buy their over-priced beer. Frickin' over-priced lite beer. Does that even count as beer?

But enough about the venue. Suffice it to say that it is something to be avoided. The bands were another matter altogether.



The first band to play after I got through all the lines was Cross Canadian Ragweed. I don't know if any other bands played before them. I could hear music coming from the pavilion while I was waiting in line, but I couldn't tell whether it was recorded music or a real live band. I wouldn't be surprised if Image 6 did a set early on, it being a Coondog Productions production and all.

I like Cross Canadian Ragweed. I like their music and I liked their show, but I think they need a smaller venue to really be at their best. But then, I think everyone needs a smaller venue to be at their best. At least from my perspective. I'm sure that if I'd been sitting closer or they were playing a smaller room, I'd have more to say. But they weren't and I don't.

After a not too long intermission, Los Lonely Boys took the stage. Although I'd heard of them, I'd never actually heard Los Lonely Boys play before last night. And dang, those guys can play. I'd seen a few people play a guitar one handed before, but I'd never seen a guy play the bass with one hand and the guitar with the other at the same time. They're an amazing act to watch, and the songs aren't bad either.

When Los Lonely Boys were finished, I was really looking forward to not hearing a set by Kid Rock, and he did not disappoint. maybe he closed the show or something after I'd left, but the only thing I saw him do was introduce ZZ Top. I'm not a Kid Rock fan, as you may have guessed.

ZZ Top does a lot of songs that I'm not particularly interested in hearing, and during the first half of the show, about the only song I even recognized was "Nationwide," and it's not one of my favorites. But ZZ Top isn't just a band, it's a show, and there was plenty to look at even though the songs weren't among my favorites.

Then about halfway through, Billy Gibbons started talking about going to the mall and buying jewelry for his girlfriend. (Or was it Dusty Hill? One of the bearded guys, anyway.) Something like that, anyway. The upshot was that she wasn't interested in sparkly things, she just wanted a pearl necklace. And at that point, things started looking up. El Loco came out when I was about 17, and it was my first ZZ Top album. And although I don't consider it to be a particularly good album overall, "Tube Snake Boogie" and especially "Pearl Necklace" have a tremendous adolescent appeal that has never worn off. Not long after that, it was "Gimme All Your Lovin'" segueing into "Sharp Dress Man," and a bunch of other good stuff until they finally switched to their furry guitars for "Legs," after which they left the stage.

But, of course, it wasn't over yet. After a few minutes they came back out and did "Viva Las Vegas" and then "La Grange" (which is really really good live), but at that point, I'd really had enough, and I didn't hang around to find out what, if anything, was next. I'm sure whatever it was was good, but five and a half hour was enough for me.

Incidentally, the boys' beards looked considerably whiter in person than they did in this picture, which was supposedly taken within the past couple months:

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Laurie said...

Even a "Pearl Necklace" couldn't have drug me off of my nice warm couch last night.

Sunday, April 08, 2007 10:35:00 PM  
Blogger Adela said...

I was at church. Had no choice: choral performance. It was completely miserable outside, and inside it was the longest Catholic service of the year-- not miserable, but exhausting. And not as long as you were at Ford Park. We went to Easy's afterwards, very nice. I was singing Christmas carols to go with the weather: In the Bleak Midwinter was partcularly apt.

I think "Eliminator" may have been the last rock concert I attended. I saw it twice. It was an awful lot of fun! Those guys give a terrific show.

If there had been an ATM, you would have had to stand in another line for an hour!

Happy Easter!

Monday, April 09, 2007 11:24:00 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

Laurie-- Pearl necklace
Laura-- church

Damn. I think I'm gonna have to turn Catholic and do a hell of a lot of Hail Marys to get past this one.

I think I'd rather just do tapas at Easy's.

Monday, April 09, 2007 11:45:00 PM  
Blogger Adela said...

I wore pearls with my performance dress at church.

We actually had breakfast at Easy's, not tapas. We (the choir) have a long tradition of going out for breakfast after the Easter Vigil mass, but IHOP just plain sucks and Cracker Barrell isn't open that late anymore. We were making suggestions about where else we could go and I, being the smartass that I am, whispered to the person next to me that we now have a Hooter's in Beaumont, and they ought to be open-- this person promptly shouted: "Laura says we should go to Hooters!" which was a big hit. Then someone suggested Easy's (it turns out that her daughter is one of the managers there), and so I said--yes, I really said this-- "Okay, so instead of Hooter's we're going to the tapas bar." (Say that out loud.)

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 12:23:00 AM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Two Hail Mary's should cover it because it's not your fault. My other two favorites are Rough Boy and Tube Snake Boogie. You just call 'em as you see 'em. :)

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 7:04:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dang, if I'd realized exactly how overpriced the shirts were, I wouldn't have asked you to nab one for me. I figgered they'd be overpriced at about $20.

I'm sorry that the beer and most of the show sucked.

*Gasp* You don't suppose they dyed their hair for that picture???!?!?

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 6:32:00 AM  
Blogger Susan in St. Paul said...

Pearl necklace- its not referring to what I think its is, is it?

I was so lucky the weather was nice and warm when I was there. I'm in Chicago now and its cold...

Hope the Stingaree (sp?) beach festival is nice and warm with cheap beer.

Saturday, April 14, 2007 10:48:00 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

Susan,

"She is so tough, as pure as the driven slush,
And that's not jewelry she's talkin' 'bout,
It really don't cost that much."

You be the judge.

Saturday, April 21, 2007 5:22:00 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Sounds pretty nasty...

Sunday, April 22, 2007 3:02:00 PM  
Blogger Mommy said...

***Giggling at the comment string in a juvenile manner.***

Sunday, April 22, 2007 11:49:00 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

They're talking about Mardi Gras beads, aren't they?

I know the pearl ones are among the most sought-after.

Monday, April 23, 2007 12:23:00 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Yeah, that's it, Mardi Gras (or St. Patrick Day or St. Joseph Day...) beads. People are constantly following me around telling me to stop picking beads up off of nasty old Bourbon Street. I just can't pass up the good ones.

Monday, April 23, 2007 1:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home